Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Is that Papa John's calling?


When I was a senior in college, my friends and I pulled a few pranks on the freshmen. One of my favorites was telling students they received a bike from the Kletz (the cafe at the student union). Then Meghan got to watch the eager pups come in to claim their prize. Suckers.

But my all time favorite prank was when we called our old freshmen dorm and told them they won a free Papa John's pizza. All they had to do was call back in the next 24 hours with "this" confirmation number to claim their prize. The beauty was two-fold: prank Papa and the freshmen all at once, as well as watching Quincy perform like a star with the "surprise announcement from Papa John's" He would confirm their room number, year in school, etc. He was brilliant. The real clincher was the "confirmation code." He'd repeat it, have them write it down, the whole bit.

Keith just accepted a call from Dish Network. He's been begging me to get cable. Literally begging. We've been working the system, trying to get competitors to out bid each other. Dish tossed the bait and my husband eagerly gobbled it up.

He now has an ID number, confirmation number, account number, and a special phone number. They even called back to confirm that we have the confirmation numbers. He might have another number from that call - I lost track.

Quincy, that wasn't you who called, was it?!

1 comment:

SH said...

I should note, however, that Keith was adamant about not sharing his ssn. That's the one number they don't have. Way to go, Boone