Sunday, January 6, 2008

Reason #76 why I hate electric ovens

We skipped church today.
We intended to go - were even looking forward to it.
I love Communion Sunday.
It was supposed to be a normal Sunday - church, then lunch at the in-laws, then a whole lot of vegging.
I always pack three things on Sunday morning - my Bible, my slippers, and my novel.
This morning, I put my 560 page novel on top of the stove, with my phone on top - to make sure I didn't forget. I was getting a little bored of the book and really want to push through to the end.
Keith decided to make some breakfast, so he started the tea pot for some oatmeal. Or so he thought.
I hate electric ovens.
I could hear a little crackle and pop from the bathroom - it's usual with our nasty old electric stove top. Even smelled a little hot - nothing strange about that either. But then all the sudden it smelled real hot.
I came into the kitchen and saw at LEAST 8 inch flames from my fully engulfed novel.
"Hello, 911? I could have sworn I turned on the BACK burner..."
(I'm not proud of this next part).
I grabbed my phone and quickly started to save it, while I yelled for Keith to come deal with the book. What do you do? Do you throw water on it? It was seriously engulfed. Luckily, my husband has teflon hands and he just picked up the book and threw it in the sink and ran water on it. He doused the few pages stuck to the burner with water.
The whole thing was over in about 30 seconds. By thing I mean fire. Because 9 hours later, we're still airing the house out with open windows and fans on high and it still smells like the morning after a frat party.
Blech.

The moral of the story?
No books on the stove. Period.
AND... cell phone covers are worth it. A little melted plastic at the hinge, a horrendous smell, and a whole lot of luck later, I can still make calls with the little sucker!

And yes, I did actually snap a few pictures. I'll post those soon.

No comments: