Wednesday, February 6, 2008

feminism - the angry kind

I don't consider myself a feminist in the flaming liberal sense. But there are some days where I think if I were, I'd probably be in jail. Like today.

Went to see the new doctor today. No more driving to GR, time to find a local.

So there I was filling out the contact information form.
They ask about me, then my spouse (including SSN), then my emergency contact information.

So I filled K's details in as the emergency contact and went to the window and said, "You don't really need me to repeat all this spouse information, do you?"

"Well, yes - we need it for insurance."

Umm... no you don't.

Oh! Is the insurance in your name?!

The shock! The awe! It was dumbfounding.
And why doesn't the form ask me for the insurance holder's information, rather than just assume it's my husbands?!

Fast forward to the lab.

"Still live at your house?"
Yep.
"Married?"
Yep.
"Is he employed?"
Pause. Well... actually, as of Friday... no. Wait. Why does that matter?
"Are you employed FULL time?"
Yes.
"So you have insurance, then??"

Why the hell is this so hard to believe? Do you really think that if my dear husband hadn't come and swept me off my feet to care for my every need that I wouldn't have insurance?

I'm sure the lab tech saw the fury in my eyes and instantly regretted her line of questioning. And I'm pretty sure it won't change a dang thing.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure it won't bother me tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to say this (don't hate me), but you DO live in Holland. Sometimes, while driving through town, one might wonder whether it's 2008, or 1958. Just sayin'.

Don't think for even a second my head wouldn't have popped off right there. Your feelings are COMPLETELY in line, dear.

Heidi said...

...same thing with taxes. Nat's the "taxpayer" and I'm just the "spouse."

Katester said...

Gotta love a day when Sara Hogan uses the phrase why the hell. It's like all it right in the world. Amen sister.