Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Definition of a good day

As a parent, I find myself bending over backwards to make sure Ben has a "good day."
Is he eating stuff he likes or that is healthy enough to fight over it a little bit? How can we schedule the day so that he has the best possible nap? Is he dressed appropriately? Is he cozy? Is he entertained? Does he have enough of my attention? Did he try anything new today? Did he get enough fresh air? Did we read? Sing a song? Cuddle long enough?
It's important to me.

It struck me recently that I don't do the same for myself. My day is deemed either good or bad based on the circumstances around me, not what I can control. I rarely have such an active evaluation of what I'm doing to make myself happy, healthy, and comfortable. What if we all lived each day asking ourselves:
Did I eat well enough today? Did I get enough exercise? Did I smile enough? Did I affirm someone today? Did I spend enough time talking with God? Did I get to bed early enough? Did I worry too much? Spend too much money on stuff? Stew over something too long? Did I laugh? At least once? Hard? Did I show Keith how much I love him today?

I'm gonna try.

No comments: