Friday, November 30, 2007

oh no you di-uhnt!

I'm living into the title of this blog today.
Brace yourself.

I have files. Lots of them. 5.5 years worth actually. They're important - to me, to the company. They fill 6 boxes. This is your cue to ask: why would you keep them in boxes and not a filing cabinet?

I work for a technology company. Paper files get no respect. I sit in a hallway. I have enough room to keep active files, but not archives. That's okay. I don't need to be close to them or anything, I just need to know where they are and have access to them. All of them. At any time. (Because I need control - there, I said it).

I keep them in the corner office.

New guy hasn't said anything about sharing his office with my files - not even a "wow - you're organized - I love sitting so close to your alphabetization."

Today I sat and watched other guy carry six bankers boxes past my desk, in the hallway.

"Where are you going with those?"
"Away."
"What's in the boxes?"
"I don't know."
"Where'd they come from?"
"Corner office. New guy needs the cabinet in there, so I emptied it."

So now I get to unpack boxes and find room for them in my hallway and I'm just glad it's Friday. Grr.

No comments: