Friday, June 13, 2008

Dear Pancreas

Look here. I realize that you have absolutely zero genes telling you how to function properly. But I'm here to tell you it's time to step it up a bit. And before you get all defensive about being singled out, I just want you to know that I have never written a letter to another organ, so that makes you special.

I know that being responsible for two bodies instead of one is a big deal. Especially when it's difficult just working for one. I've always known you were a bit weak and would probably need some support. I'm here to tell you I'll offer that support. Please don't require support from pills or injections. Isn't my loving encouragement enough??

If you need inspiration, just look at Heart or Lungs. They seem to be doing well, even with the current conditions. (Although I'd rather you not take any cues from Right Ankle - he's been freaking out for weeks now.) What I'm trying to say here is that this is new for ALL of us. And it takes a little extra effort. But the bottom line is we're in this thing together and the result of our effort will totally be worth it. So buck up, trooper.

The bad news is you failed a test yesterday. You were required to process a butt-load of sugar within an hour and you did a half-ass job. The good news is, you get a second chance. Next week some time, you and me, we'll go to the lab and sit for three hours while you work your little pancre-ass off. I want you to know that no one will be cheering harder for you that day than me. This is also your warning - you need to get in shape. Next week will be the same amount of sugar, but this time you get three hours to process it instead of one. I think you can do it. In the meantime, I'll do my best to keep a positive attitude because with you and me, it's all about chemistry, isn't it?

6 comments:

Heidi said...

We'll be cheering for him (and by "him," I mean your pancreas)! Keep us posted!
And, one more thing, I'd say you have the positive attitude thing pretty much down--you wrote a letter to a body part. That's funny!

Anonymous said...

It's just too bad you're not funny, Sar. I mean, really.

Good thing there's not a test for the small intestines....how would you know if peristalsis was working at its highest level of efficiency?

sknaB nolA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sknaB nolA said...

If all else fails, like your pancreas, I hear that there is a design for iPancreas that Apple is set to launch.
Who knows, it might make calls on the at&t network or hold like 3 gazillion songs.

Kara said...

I think you're off to a good start here, what with the letter to the editor, get your sugar in shape type deal you have going on.
Advise from one who failed not one one hour test, but two one hours in two pregnancies, and one three hour.
The good news is that I finally passed my three hour and then the next one hour.
Confused yet?
It's all in your head.
Go with the right mind set, shake your legs a lot, and pee like you mean it.
You'll do fine.

SH said...

Next test is Thursday - should have the results on Friday - keep your fingers crossed. Thanks for the encouragement - and the laughs. I'll keep you posted.