Friday, August 29, 2008

Problem solved

Our cat Charlie is the most curious animal I have ever met.
Whatever I'm doing, he's right there, trying to figure it out.
Even if I'm cutting garlic - he'll take part of the skin and test it out to see if it's any good.
If I'm making the bed, he's on or in the sheets the entire time.
It's an endearing trait... most of the time. Partly because he's also such a talker - he really keeps me company!

He also has a bit of an ego. He is convinced that every last thing we bring into the house is for him. Some toys are more lame than others. But pretty much every bed-like thing makes him happy. A bed-like thing may be my jacket on the floor of the mud room, freshly folded laundry in a basket, or Keith's work uniforms (which had been on the table for about thirty seconds when I took this picture).

So needless to say, I've been a bit concerned about how to keep the cats out of the crib. Charlie will get in because he thinks the bed is his. Phoebe will get in because she loves to sleep ON people - specifically their necks. I may not be a pro at this parenting thing yet, but neither seem like a great idea to me.

We brought in the basinette, Charlie claimed it. Changing table in the nursery? His. So he never gets in the habit of hanging out in the crib, I've kept it chocked full of boxes, etc. so he can't sleep in there, but he still climbs over all the stuff like a mountain goat.

The vet suggested wiping everything down with citrus flavored cleaning solution to deter them. But this cat's willing to eat garlic! And then of course the spraying technique. Guess what? Charlie loves water. Even gets in the shower with me sometimes, just to play with the drips. I was beginning to think the situation was hopeless.


Enter craigslist.
Per wise suggestion, I invested in a second changing table for the main level of our house. We put it in the office. In front of the window. Charlie hasn't left it since we put it in. Sometimes he even shares with Phoebe. I don't think he's ever been happier with a bed-like thing in his house, ever. And I'm pretty sure he'd rather be here, in front of his window, than sharing a bed with a baby in a dark corner of an upstairs room any day. I kind of miss him in bed with us at night, but this is a HUGE relief!

Clearly, the window treatments are a work in progress.... :)

No comments: