Saturday, June 13, 2009

Joy & sorrow

Life is just never what you expect it to be.
I spent all day preparing for, traveling to, attending, wasting time prior to reception, celebrating, and coming home from a wedding where someone I know quite well married someone I know not at all.
It's the happiest day of their life.
I thought about blogging about that a bit more.

But now it's late.
We're home and decompressing a bit.
We heard tragic news this morning.
One of the teens that Keith used to mentor was killed in a car accident last night.
It's still sinking in a bit.
Thank God that he was a man of real faith.
That blessed assurance does not help make sense of any of it, however.

In a darkened living room, with my party dress in the hamper and my bathrobe tied tight, I danced to Our Song with my husband and we cried.
For Nathan.
For dreams lost.
For fear that it should ever come any closer to home than it already has.
For guilt at the relief that it hasn't.
But mostly for the sorrow we feel for his family.

No comments: