Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Soapbox

In February, my position was "downsized."
In other words, I don't make as much money now as I did then.
That reality has forced my family to shuffle our priorities a bit.
First thing to go: TV.
And that doesn't mean we just get fewer channels, or have crappy reception.
We get zero channels.
Period.

I missed it for about a week.
And every once in a while, I long for a Sunday afternoon with Mike Rowe.
But by and large, I can't remember when we had time to watch.
That doesn't make me a better person than you.
Just like the fact that you jog doesn't make you a better person than me.
Just had to put that out there.

Can you guess where this is going?
I've got something to say about... you guessed it: Jon & Kate.

I don't have anything new to say about their situation.
You've read my opinions stated by reporters a thousand times already:
-Heartbroken for the kids
-Knew it was coming
-The show will need to change if it will survive
-Kate can be a real bitch sometimes
-I miss the coupon clipping, real-life family from Season 1
-Yadda yadda yadda

That said, I fell in love with this family long ago, but especially while I was home on maternity leave.
Kate and me were buds. And I could ID her kids better than ones I see in person sometimes. I felt more connected to them than I did with people I actually have relationships with. Part of that was a symptom of my much needed postpartum hibernation. But part of that is the direct result of me just getting way too wrapped up in TV.

There, I said it.
Again, if you "follow" a show, I'm not judging you here. Seriously.
I would kill for an episode of Intervention right now.
And I heard about the new "Obsessed" series on A&E. Oooh, I want me some of that.

But I digress.

What's really irking my tater today is everybody saying "Shame on TLC"
"Shame on Kate"
"Shame on Jon"
"TLC should cancel the show"

Why? Because your obsession with watching someone else's life fall apart makes them money? Are you kidding?

If you watch the show, you have no right to judge or cast blame (or shame) on anyone - you fed the fire. I did, too.

And if you don't watch the show, then shut up.

Guess I should take my own advice, eh?

I didn't realize I felt so passionately about all this until right now. (thanks a lot, Kara)
Just don't get me started on American Idol.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Remember "Friends".
Our nights revolved around that show...for one night.
I hope the hupla is over tomorrow. The show is on hiatus until august.
Eric is laughing his @ss off at you and your soapbox.
Can't wait to see you.
I hope you're not too wrapped up in letting us all know that you aren't judging us.
Seriously?!?
Keep smiling because you aren't Kate and He's not Jon. And thank God you don't have Eight kids because...
I'm not judging you, but really;)
Thank God. For you

SH said...

I just don't think the same rules apply to real life folk as they do to sitcoms.
But don't try telling 1999 Sara that.