Friday, March 14, 2008

Going Egypt

The Egypt trip is less than a week away. The details are insane. The politics are unbelievable. The whining is unstoppable. And the second-guessing is driving me postal.

(I should note here that the planning is going exceptionally well and that my complaints are over the minor, inconsequential button pushing I've experienced).

One of the most difficult logic puzzles we've had to solve is with the packs. It got more complicated when we were handed our key prop this week - a 72" stick. Our longest bag is 35". Yes, we considered ski bags. Yes, we considered every other option you're thinking right now.

So I brought it to a pool cue maker, 'cause lots of those come apart in the middle, right? (Brilliant, I know - it wasn't my idea).
"I'm here today to win the prize for most random request of the day. Can you cut this stick, promise not to split it, and make it so I can put it back together? It's gotta be strong enough to be a walking stick and it can't look like it was cut."

I was expecting him to ponder the opportunity, maybe offer a wise crack.

I wasn't expecting him to say, "Why don't you just get a bigger bag?"

And I am positive he wasn't expecting me to turn into the Hulk and have my vein pop out of my forehead or my eyes to go blood shot, either. The good news is, he is now "happy" to help.

No comments: